Lockdown Learning – essential training for charity shop teams
***UPDATE – 10.6.20***
We have added a brand new session to our Lockdown Learning package. For no extra cost, you will be able to access our pre-recorded webinar: “Well being leads to well doing – Exploring ways for a safe and healthy way out of Lockdown for your team” Devised and run for The Consultancy by Restorative Practice expert, Sarah Baggaley, this session introduces a whole new way to approach your relationships at work (and at home) to help ensure the best outcome for everyone. Charities who have already bought the Lockdown Learning package will automatically receive access to the session, along with useful links for planning this crucial element of reopening for business. Anyone purchasing the package from now on will receive all five sessions – and all at no extra cost.
We were thrilled to have this wonderful feedback on our Lockdown Learning package:
“Congratulations on producing a wonderful resource which will help me train and update the retail staff and prepare them to return. It will also help me to maintain a connection – and I do believe it will positively impact their mental health and well being.”
David Burrell – CEO, Primrose Hospice
Designed with furloughed charity shop teams in mind, but suitable for all the retail team, these four online sessions provide practical ideas and guidance around some of the key drivers to ensuring you are making the very most from your charity shops.
Each session is approximately one hour and is delivered in the form of slides with an accompanying narration. There are exercises for participants to do throughout each session and a takeaway “Ideas and Action” plan, which encourages staff to think about what they will do to improve their shop when they return to work.
Each session reminds teams to check in with their line managers before they make any changes, and we offer email or ‘phone support to anyone taking part in the courses.
The course content is as follows:
Recruiting and retaining great volunteers
• An overview of current charity retail volunteering, including up to date statistics and trends
• Assessing your volunteer need by carrying out a volunteer audit
• How to attract volunteers using tried and tested methods as well as new and innovative ones
• The benefits of volunteering
• Planning volunteer roles
• Rewarding volunteers
• Why and how to attract young people as volunteers
Stock acquisition and management
• Knowing the challenges of donated stock acquisition
• Understanding your stock generation needs
• Identifying the levels and types of stock needed and how to achieve the right stock levels
• Planning how to improve your stock generation activities
• Planning how to retain your stock donors
• What good and bad customer service means for you
• What excellent customer service looks like
• The benefits of good customer service
• Current challenges
• How to increase customer numbers
• Instore experience – how to delight your customers
• Online presence – selling and engagement
• Building a community
• Collecting and using market research
• Going the extra mile
Making the most of your space
• Understanding the basic principles of space management
• Calculating % sales and % space
• Sales vs space – how to allocate your space to each department
• Filling your space – areas to consider
• Types of shop and styles of merchandising
• Using your shop fittings effectively
• Calculating potential sales
Costs include unlimited access for your charity staff and volunteers to the sessions & supporting documentation, plus follow up support via email or phone as required.
Charities with 0-5 shops* – £250 + VAT
Charities with 6-20 shops – £50 + VAT per shop
Charities with 21 shops or more – please contact us to discuss a price
*We are aware of some funders who may be able to help with costs for smaller charities and are happy to discuss this with you
How to access the leaning
If you would like to go ahead, please contact us at email@example.com
We will provide you with a link and password to access the sessions and supporting documentation. We ask that this is not shared beyond your organisation.
We look forward to hearing from you and continuing to support you and your teams through these uncertain times.